Sunday, November 17, 2019

RollUp Project intro

~
Tom White ~ Journal 2
photo by Styrous®


We installed the RollUp Project windows today. It was super fun and looks great. I was able to have a couple of chats with Squeak, and Julia was an excellent assistant ( she did most of the actual work and I’m very happy she did since my age is making it difficult.  Styrous® helped me with a rather tedious installation of BoogieWoogie, so both of us are very exhausted this evening at home with our cocktails and nibbles.    

The  RollUp Project  has boosted me in numerous ways, motivating me to continue the work I started when a dear friend suggested that I go through my journals to see what I could throw away. This suggestion came about a year ago when I began going through the journals, page by page, to see what might be tossed. But instead of tossing I found that with the help of my phone cam and social media platforms I would look at a page as it was reduced in size in a photo, and if there was something wrong with the image, it was easier to see a formal solution and attempt to “fix” it by adding something, re-photographing, posting, re-posting the image on Facebook; then continuing the process and making further changes until the piece morphed itself into a satisfactory resolution.   

What interested me in this process gave me an answer to the question: what does ‘my story’ mean on social media? Besides it being autobiographical, it became a game or process that interfaces real-time artistic editing process using the media — sustained motivation, cycling, recycling.   

So we were interested to see that my blog site was getting more hits than ever before because I was using my process on social media, and it was interesting enough to people that they linked to my blog: a lot cheaper than “boosting” on FBook or promoting on Instigram.


Net link:     

Squeak Carnwath      
      
  
    
     
TW aka bUtom

Tom White
Professor Emeritus
California College of the Arts (CCA)

















No comments:

Post a Comment